Sunday, June 9, 2013

Camp Epiphanies

   Camp was a lot of information cramming into a small amount of time, so there wasn't much time for an epiphany. Reflecting however, I think there are a couple things I took away from camp that come somewhat close to epiphanies. 
   1.) The discovery of a Microbiology & Pathogenesis Ph.D. program. Apparently, many schools offer this option, which I was previously completely unaware of, but seemingly fits my interests perfectly. The idea is to research new or alternative treatments for infectious diseases.
    2.) My portfolio is probably not as bad as I previously thought. Maureen's presentation really helped me toward this conclusion, also making me less anxious for the GRE, and more confident in my grad program search. 
   3.) Finally, I sort of realized that maybe this whole grad program search thing is better done in company even if no one else in the cohort is interested in pursuing a similar degree. Sitting with some fellow scholars outside of the mock interviews on the last full day of camp, I couldn't help but notice how much better the grad school search experience was with people to bug about this faculty member's project or that school's stipend and health coverage.

No comments:

Post a Comment