Sunday, June 16, 2013

What is success?

Success is accomplishment/attainment of some desirable outcome or result as defined by the entity using the word. As such, there are many different definitions of "success" relative to the individual, political party, graduate admissions board, etc. Defining it this way, and operating on the assumption that you're interested in my ideas and not a political party's, I think a good approach to a response is to list what I want for myself for the future, again with success being the acquisition of the listed.


  • A fully funded Ph.D. in a biology related field.
  • A research position in industry (that is, one far from teaching) in which I would be challenged to come up with exciting, new, and innovative technologies and information related to cell, molecular, or some other sub-field of biology. 
  • A group of friends and colleagues I can feel comfortable around; ones that I would appreciate, and that would appreciate me as a person.
  • Maintaining connection with my family in Michigan especially if I end up living out of state. 
  • A (long awaited) feeling of financial security and solvency.
I think these 5 points pretty accurately encompass what success is to me with regards to my life. As mentioned, success is really just the achievement of some goal, idea, or condition an entity sets for itself or others. These are my goals and ideas, and I intend to do everything I can to manifest them.

Success awaits, comrades.

No comments:

Post a Comment